Monday, September 21, 2015

Taking Bites out of Life

This week has been the first that felt 'real'. Things are moved in, curtains are hung (90%) and beds are put together. Yes, that means Isaac's bed too! We finally got his mattress, and he has been sleeping in his own bed. It's funny how last week I was about to loose my mind because I was waking up 4-9 times a night but now that Isaac is in his own room, I only wake up with him once or twice! It's glorious!! He is sleeping so well at night. Day...not so much. He has gone from 4-5 naps to 1-2 naps. That is a huge jump...and he's not doing it gracefully. I don't know why this is what he wants, but he must have hit a developmental milestone that told him to do it. At this point, I blame the forces of nature.

He has also received his second tooth this week! Now he has both front bottom teeth. He has been so whiney, but we find things to help. Like this toy from his Bama that I place ice-cubes into.

"Why did you put me down mom?? My teeth hurt!" face

"Wow, what is this thing?"



"Oh my goodness it feels good on my gums!"

The only con is that the front of his onesie gets soaked. 


We also decided to start on solids. Isaac always grabs my oatmeal in the morning, so I tried giving him some 'baby' oatmeal. He didn't eat much but he seemed to enjoy the experience. I think that might be the last time I give him oat cereal, but who knows.



Brent accuses me of being a homebody, and he is right. Mostly because I hate traveling in the car. In California traffic, this hatred is magnified! It is so crazy to drive here and everything takes forever to get to. Also, last year around this time Brent and I got in a huge wreck here. We were hit on the freeway and it totaled our car. We honestly suffer from post traumatic stress syndrome. 

Anyway, I decided we needed to get out more often. We found a huge event where hundreds of food trucks were gathering in Oakland. We invited some of our best friends and we got some yummy food!!

We saw a Paella place and Brent HAD to get some. He loves Spain so much because of his mission. They even had fake pig legs (a spanish delicacy) hanging at the truck. 





Here are the huge pans they cook the Paella in. 



It was super yummy!




 We also had to try these carmel and cinnamon covered sweet potato fries. They were really good though very sweet.





This coming week is finals for Brent. He is finishing his fifth of twelve quarters. I can't believe how far we've gone!

Also as a side note, I found some yummy recipes lately.

First, the best gluten-free cookies ever. Are they healthy for you? Heck no. So of course I love them! She said not to use natural peanut butter because it's thinner, but I did anyway. Mostly because I think other peanut butter is yuck, and it also has soybean oil in it which Isaac is intolerant to. So I just added a little bit of cornstarch to thicken the batter up and they were amazing.

http://www.averiecooks.com/2015/06/the-best-flourless-peanut-butter-cookies.html

An amazing soup:

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/02/kale-quinoa-minestrone-vegan-gluten-free/

1 comment:

  1. Isaac is getting so big and still so cute. I wish you guys lived closer!! That food looks yummy. Glad you are getting some sleep and are feeling settled in your new place. It's so good to hear whats going on. One of these days we will skype but man, life is going fast! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete