Monday, October 26, 2015

Busy but not productive

At least Isaac is still alive. That's what I remind myself sometimes late at night when I'm trying to sleep and my thoughts sift through the days events. How come the undone dishes, the dirty floor, empty fridge, the unsolved problems and dirty laundry is all I can focus on? I'm not a perfectionist. Far from it sometimes, usually I try to be laid back about life in general. But I'm slowly starting to realize I base my success as a mom off the things I get done at home and that's not right.
So tonight, I flip through my phone and laugh/cry at the videos and photos I've taken of Isaac this week. Those sweet smiles just for me, those first steps he takes to crawling, and those little hands that always reach for me.




What an amazing calling, being a mom. It's such a roller coaster of slamming your forehead against the wall as your child protests his nap angrily for the 3rd time that day to those moments when they gaze up at you after eating and reach up so you'll kiss their little chubby hands and giggle. Even though it's hard to get up at 2am to go feed Isaac, sometimes I'll spend an extra five minutes just holding him as he rests on my shoulder, fingering my hair and softly cooing to me, telling me all about his day and how he feels. That reminds me that I did do a lot that day. I took care of Isaac and all his needs, and he doesn't care if the dishes are done, he only cares that I'm there to hold him and sing him his favorite songs.





This week we didn't do much. One of the key founders of a technique Brent is really interested in came to speak at the school, and Isaac and I came to watch. We had Stake Conference this weekend and it's at the chapel right next to the temple. It was wonderful to walk around the beautiful grounds on such a perfect day. I'm so grateful for the gospel in our lives. I truly know that by following Christ's teachings I am blessed. I have tried to be better like my husband and really set aside time to read the Book of Mormon every day. It's amazing how events that happened thousands of years ago are so similar to life now. I learn so much as I gain hero's and recognize how to change and become better. 

Last night Brent took Isaac up to give him his bath before bedtime. As a side note, I have such an awesome husband who never complains when I ask for him to help and often helps before I ask. I finished my dinner and walked up the stairs to hear Brent reading to Isaac about Joseph Smith. I'm so grateful to have a husband who is on the same page as me of raising our children in the beautiful gospel. 




4 comments:

  1. Jessica don't worry about your house. Enjoy your baby. Before you know it he'll be gone and all he'll remember is the time you spent with him. Instead of cleaning the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so sweet. I needed it. There is always so much to do and you're right, it's hard not to judge yourself based on what gets done. Enjoy him because the next thing you know he will be turning 10 and it's crazy!! You and Brent are great parents. This post brought me happy tears.

    ReplyDelete